One of the benefits of making applications with the low-code platform Mendix, is the ease of deployment to the Mendix cloud. The Mendix cloud is a fully managed cloud infrastructure where customers deploy their applications. As a result, no additional cloud management capabilities are necessary to make the apps available to end users. In the Mendix cloud, each application gets a fully isolated environment which contains the Mendix runtime engine, a database and secure file storage.
What is Mendix cloud v4?
For years, cloud v3 was the default version used by many customers. During Q1 of 2017, Mendix launched the v4 version of the Mendix cloud after which many new features and improvements to this new cloud version have been released. On March 30th 2021, Mendix will shut down the now deprecated cloud v3. All Mendix customers are strongly advised to migrate their Mendix applications from cloud v3 to cloud v4 before this date.
Benefits of cloud v4
Migrating from cloud v3 to cloud v4 has several benefits:
- Fully managed on major cloud provider AWS
- Higher availability and self-service multi instance configuration
- Faster hardware (such as SSD for the database)
- Debugger is enabled by default
- Live logging
- Improved metrics and monitoring
- Datadog integration
- Self-service custom URL management
- Increased security using http-headers, client certificates and TLS 1.2
Migrating from Mendix cloud v3 to v4
When migrating applications from cloud v3 to cloud v4, you need several things into account. First of all: cloud v4 only supports Mendix 6.0 and above. Therefore, older applications should first be upgraded to a more recent version. With cloud v4 exceptional configurations, such as a VPN, are no longer supported. These need to be replaced with features such as IP filtering, the use of client certificates or reverse proxies. Another thing to take into consideration is that the Mendix runtime on v4 is no longer capable of sending emails itself. You will need an external mail server instead.
Mendix supports various different deployment scenarios which we consider to be an alternative to migrating to v4. These alternatives include:
- IBM Cloud: for companies standardizing on the IBM stack, Mendix offers out of the box deployment to the IBM cloud.
- SAP Cloud: when using Mendix on top of SAP extensively, this could be a good alternative which supports, amongst other features, SAP SSO.
- Siemens MindSphere: deployment on the MindSphere cloud offers the benefit of a tight integration between the low-code application platform and the MindSphere IoT platform.
- Private cloud: for customers with an own private cloud, Mendix offers standardized deployment and management of the applications in a private Kubernetes cluster.
- Docker: Mendix offers standardized Docker images which can be used to deploy Mendix everywhere where Docker is supported.
- On-premises: Mendix can run on-premises, for example inside a factory, using Docker or by manually installing the Mendix runtime and database.
What can we do for you?
At TimeSeries, we have extensive experience with migrating applications from cloud v3 to v4 as well as with other deployment scenarios. We offer a migration service for our customers where we use the following approach:
- Fit / gap analysis: we start with assessing the impact of the migration from v3 to v4.
- Offer solutions: based on the result of the fit / gap analysis, we offer solutions for specific issues such the lack of VPN support, external mail server use, etc.
- Evaluate the alternatives: if applicable, we will discuss which alternatives could be of value when considering a migration away from cloud v3.
- Do the migration: after all solutions and alternatives have been discussed, a decision will be made on the best migration path. The final migration will be executed by our Mendix experts, in close collaboration with our customers, focussing on minimum downtime.
If you want to know more about our migration service, sign up for our webinar on October 8th. Do you not want to wait until then? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.